URGE is working to empower the diverse, upcoming generation of leaders who promote and protect reproductive freedom - both now and in the future. We are dedicated to the right of each person worldwide to decide when and if they will have sex, when and if they will be pregnant, and when and if they will have a child. URGE provides tools, training and leadership opportunities to young people aged 18-30 to mobilize for reproductive information and services and win real victories for their campuses and communities!
URGE: Unite for Reproductive & Gender Equity seeks committed people in Montgomery who are passionate about reproductive/social justice to help implement our voter engagement campaign. As a canvasser for URGE, you'll get an inside understanding of the fight to attain reproductive justice locally in your community, as well as an opportunity to hone your professional skills in a fast-paced environment. URGE canvassers will work at a with the South Alabama State Organizer.
Candidates must have knowledge of and commitment to reproductive health and rights and/or social justice issues. This position will report to the South Alabama State Organizer.
Duration: 15-30 hours a week. This position is temporary, beginning in mid-March 2018 and ending in mid-April 2018, with the possibility of renewed employment from May to June, and October to November, depending on circumstances, funding, and applicant pool
Salary: This position is paid $15.00/hr.
- Attend a training to learn about URGE and your role as a canvasser
- Complete door-to-door canvassing and phonebanking in order to identify new supporters of URGE's reproductive justice work, and to turn voters out to the polls
- Report shift data to State Organizer promptly after each shift ends
- Strong oral communication skills on the phone and in person
- Basic skills with technology in order to submit data at the end of each canvassing shift
- Reliable transportation
- Daily access to a working smartphone
- Previous experience in canvassing or other civic engagement campaigns preferred, not required
- Ability to work 4-8 hours 4-6 days per week
- Ability to be active and mobile in neighborhoods for 4-8 hours (once a week)
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks with attention to detail
- Ability to work respectfully with people of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work well with a team, take direction and feedback, and share skills and knowledge
- Positive attitude
- Passion for reproductive justice and social justice issues
- Commitment to activism & engaging young adults ages 18-30